The Elder Team at Foothills
The Elder’s primary focus is to provide Godly, visionary leadership and Biblical oversight of the church:
- They receive and share the vision, direction and goals of the church, being vitally connected with the heart of God through prayer.
- They define, establish and implement biblical values that help prioritize ministries for God’s children as they serve Him and live in harmony together.
- They seek understanding of the current spiritual condition, growth and maturity of the church body.
- They lead the church to remain true to its mission and purpose, living like citizens of God’s Kingdom who are helping to advance it.
- They are keepers of the vision God has given Foothills and guardians of the flock God has entrusted into their care.
The Elders are not here to control the church but to facilitate its growth and development along the path where God is leading us. Jesus Christ is the Head of the church, the believers who are part of the body of Christ (Ephesians 1:22 & 23; 4:14-16). We believe God has established Foothills to be a people who experience His presence and His supernatural power in such a way that they are ignited with the passion to advance His kingdom and bring Him glory in this generation.
Scripture examples that describe the Role of an Elder:
- I Peter 5:1-4 — Shepherd, oversee, be examples
- Acts 6:1-4 — Devoted to prayer and the scriptures (personally and in ministry)
- I Timothy 5:17 — Direct the affairs of the church
- Ephesians 4:11 & 12 — Train, equip, prepare God’s people for works of service…attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ
- Acts 15:2, 4, 6, 22 & 23 — Deal with issues of concern, problems, sin issues, etc.
- Acts 16:4 — The decisions made by the Apostles and Elders were delivered for the people to obey
- Acts 20:17 & 18, 28-31 — Guard yourself and all the flock, be on your guard, be Shepherds of the church of God