Next Baptism: Check for upcoming baptisms at the bottom of this page
Jesus said, “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matt. 28:19-20)
Further Thoughts on Baptism
1. Baptism does not make anyone a follower of Christ nor is it a requirement for
Eph. 2:8-9 “God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for
this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so
none of us can boast about it.” (NLT)
2. Baptism is a symbol of what has already taken place in your life.
• You have already received God’s gift of eternal life through Jesus.
• That your sins have been forgiven.
• That you have been given a new life.
• This is also why we do not practice infant baptism.
3. Understanding the symbolism behind water baptism
• Being placed under the water illustrates that Jesus died, buried, and rose again
for our sins.
• Baptism illustrates that we spiritually died with Christ and have been given a new
Rom. 6:3-4 “Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in
baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by
baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the
Father, now we also may live new lives.” (NLT)
4. Why do we immerse people completely under the water?
• The Greek word for baptize is “baptizo” which means to dip in or under water.
• Best illustrates the symbolism behind baptism.
• Seems to be the model of the N.T. There was always large bodies of water
around when they were baptizing people.
5. How important is it to gel baptized?
• Jesus commands it.
Matt. 28:19-20 “Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new
disciples to obey all the commands I have given you…” (NLT)
It is part of the process of being a disciple of Jesus.
Obedience = Blessing
6. Why do I have to be baptized in front of others?
Mark 8:38 “If anyone is ashamed of me and my message in these adulterous and sinful
days, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in the glory of his
Father with the holy angels.” (NLT)
To demonstrate that we are not ashamed to identify ourselves with Jesus.
This was the NT model. Baptism was a public event in Scripture.
7. Will getting baptized keep me from doing wrong things?
No it will not, but being baptized can usher in more spiritual growth and development
in your life because of your obedience. Often, people who resist being baptized
have their spiritual growth stunted.